The Early Days of a Better Nation

Saturday, December 24, 2016



What I've (not) been doing

Yesterday morning I finished a long short story for an interesting project I've been collaborating in: imagining and designing Heijplaat, a small community in Rotterdam, seventy years from now. I started work on this more or less as I finished writing Emergence, so this is the first time in a couple of years in which I haven't a deadline to meet.

What I've not been doing lately is blogging. The last time I put any effort into blogging and tweeting was in 2014, around the Scottish independence referendum. The time and effort would have been better spent on researching, outlining, planning and above all writing The Corporation Wars, for which I already had a contract. The two years since the end of 2014 have been a bit of a slog.

In the wider world it's been a rocky couple of years, 2016 in particular. I've refrained from commenting on events because I didn't want to get into arguments that would take up too much of my time.

But of course, getting into arguments is a choice. I could just write opinionated screeds and not bother to defend them. This works for actual columnists, after all.

Merry Christmas!

6 Comments:

You are wise. Merry Christmas!

Maybe a pint on the Anchor next year? Merry Christmas.

Or even in it, if it's raining...

Merry Christmas (and Happy Hogmanay)

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the Corporation Wars sequence.

Cheers,

Rob-Roy

And a Happy New Year!

Looking forward to the next......

Post a Comment


Home